So I've been looking for some good desk lamps to put in our tech booths. We've tried the cheap Target lamps which lasted for a few years, but I had some qualms. They got hot (being quartz lamps), they got knocked off the desks often, and the lamps would continually burn out. After that, I found some old LittleLites laying in our closet that we're missing lamps. They're probably ten years old. I likes these because they were dim-able and rack-mounted so they would fall off the desks. However, they frequently burned people and the lamps are super delicate. After a short run and replacing lots of lamps (we're talking weekly, folks), I decided enough is enough.
I wanted cheap LED desk lamps. My reasoning was I wanted lights that didn't burn out as easily, that if I left on during the week wouldn't cost a lot, didn't burn kids, and didn't cost an arm and a leg. The search began.
Did you know that LED desk lamps are pretty expensive? I mean, there are a few cheap ones with pencil and iPod holders that are $20-30, but for one that will last more than a few weeks in our youth room we're talking $50-60 a pop. And I was looking to buy one per position in each of our tech rooms (probably 10 total)! This was totally not doable. That's when I stumbles upon this:
There are a few major wins to this light.
- LED. Low power consumption. They won't scar anymore children (or me!).
- They are bright! It only takes one of the two to light a workstation.
- They're DUAL! Because we have two people per desk in our room, I can rack this light in-between them and cut cost in half!
- They're rack-mountable. No more falling off the desk and breaking lamps.
- It's durable. We're talking Middle Atlantic, the company who makes road-ready, metal equipment. This is going to outlast any Target light.
- Only $50! That's as much or less than I would have paid for one "cheap" LED desk lamp.
So I bought a few. They are awesome. I'm going to be testing them out for a while and I'll update this post if any of them fail, but I'm not expecting that to happen for a few years.